zaterdag 27 februari 2016

Explore, Dream and Discover

Today is the 28th of February, which means that now exactly 2 years ago I made the step to move to Dubai. 2 full years of amazing memories, holidays, friendships and many more. Just want to say that I am so grateful for all the things I did in the last 2 years, things I would never have done otherwise, and honestly feeling blessed that I am able to do so many things at such a young age. Happy to have such amazing family and friends. Living abroad brings a lot of struggles with them as well, staying in touch with the people back home, and I can proudly say that I still have all of my friends, and want to thanks them to be patience with me, and visiting me in Dubai or when I'am in Amsterdam, that they take the time and effort to come and see me. The list would be long if I name each and everyone of you, once you read this you know that I'am talking about you. <3

Now, after 2 years, unfortunately I already had to say goodbye to some really good friends of mine, who left Dubai to either move back home or are starting another adventure. Life is so boring without friends, especially in Dubai, it is so important to surround yourself with (positive) people who you can talk to about everything! Because not everybody understands whats happening on a flight, that a normal working week could be a Melbourne Auckland trip a short trip to Doha and back and any European flight to for example Amsterdam. Thats sometimes how my weeks look. You go to 3 different continents in 1 week, and is considered as 'normal'. Of course for us as cabin crew it is normal, but actually in real life it is so not normal! And I realize that as well shopping in all these different countries is a blessing, even my closet thanks me for that, haha.

Here's a little list of things I did in the past 2 years:

- Holidays in:  Thailand
                         Bali
                        New York
                        Kroatia
                        Sri Lanka
                         Malta
(this year I'am planning to go to Austria, Hongkong and South America)
- swimming with wild dolphins in Mauritius
- hanggliding in Rio de Janeiro
- saw the Sydney Opera House, the Christ in Rio as well
- went to Tokyo with Sarah (my roommate)
- one day skiing on a Lyon layover
- met: Diego Maradona
           Robert Pattinson
           Jermain Jackson
           whole dutch hockey team in Buenos Aires
          Fedde le Grand (Dutch DJ)
          Ali B (dutch rapper and judge of the Voice)
           Edgar Davids (dutch ex-footballer)
- bought a real Russian Hat in St. Petersburg
- went to a pingpong show in Bangkok
- took a boat on the Mekong river in Vietnam
- climbed Lion's Head in Cape Town
- swimming with sharks in Durban
- saw the big tennis players play at the Dubai Championships (Djokovic, Federer, Verdasco, Bagdadis, Murray etc.)
- went to see the biggest outdoor Buddha in the world in Hongkong.
- bought fake bags in the underground market in Shanghai
- visited the second biggest mosque in the world in Casablanca
- walked on the Great Wall of China
- bought facial masks in South Korea
- had a cocktail at the Marina Bay Sand hotel with the infinity pool in Singapore
- did about 6 desert safari's in Dubai

And of course I can mention many more things I did on layovers. All the friends I met all over the world, being surprised by my big brothers in Frankfurt, stayed in Paris for one day with my parents and so on...

Lets not forget all the amazing party nights I had all over the world. If you need any advice on which bar to go to in, almost, any city in the world, I'am the person to talk to. But at the end of the day it is the people you are with who are making it worth going. And all the amazing parties I went to in Dubai, so many good nights in the party central of the Middle East, all the crazy brunches I have been to, the afterparties that followed. I can truly say from the bottom of my heart that I enjoy living the life in Dubai. Wouldn't change a thing to all the things I did, all the lovely people I have met. Just makes you appreciate the little moment more as well.

I often get the question, what do you wanna do after Emirates? And to be honest, for now, I'am happy in Dubai. Maybe in another 2/3 years and then it might be time to close this chapter and start a new one.

I want to finish this blog with 2 quotes, one for each year:

"The World is like a book, people who don't travel only read one page."

"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do then the things you did do.  So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails."
Explore          Dream               Discover
       


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten